Live Music Fans,
Here comes another very talented Colorado-based musician to the room for our 49th Streamin’ Steve’s show this Friday Night. We are hoping that the valley gets safer every month from Covid-19 and we can’t wait to host more of our amazing audiences in the old room. The live streams have sounded and looked great on GrassrootsTV and Youtube but there’s nothing like hearing beautiful live music in person. We really miss the shows!
Bruce Hayes has been playing the room for many years and he always puts on a high-energy, entertaining show. His musical skills are impressive so tune in and become a fan.
FRIDAY NIGHT – MARCH 5TH – BRUCE HAYES – 7:30PM – www.brucehayes.com www.grassrootstv.org
“Bruce Hayes is a Colorado original. Singer/songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, producer/engineer, and instrument collector/historianâ�¦His music combines Bluegrass, Celtic, Blues, Rock and R&B into a unique potpourri of original and interperative songs.
‘The Jimi Hendrix of the Mandolin ‘ also plays all kinds of guitars, Dobro, and his own creation, the Strato Bassto accompanied by his signature mutant clogging.
An instigator of the Mountain Jam Band Sound, Hayes has collaborated with numerous Colorado groups including The String Cheese Incident, Acoustic Junction, and Free the Honey.
On top of his work as the ‘One-Maniac-Band, he plays Mandolin in Ragged Mountain Bluegrass, Electric Guitar and Steel in Roundhouse Assembly, and fronts the Bruce Hayes Band.
He has several CDs available to stream and numerous videos.
Concert promoter Clark Roberts says, “Bruce is among the most talented artists. He has become an icon. Bound full of energy, his music soars. Fusing genres, challenging boundaries with stunning musicianship, a performance never to be missed. ‘
“Bruce Hayes plays Rhythm & Celtgrass music, a fusion of musical styles that combines acoustic and electric instrumentation with elements of Rock, Bluegrass, Celtic, and R&B music. Collaborating with The String Cheese Incident and Acoustic Junction, Hayes helped define the acoustic jam band sound. He continues this tradition performing original songs and arrangements on Mandolin, Guitar, Dobro, foot board and his latest creation, the Stratobassto.
“…the most phenomenally talented performer you’ve ever seen. A master of the guitar, mandolin, and dobro, he even dances a rhythm while he plays – Bruce will astound you. He writes great songs, has a hell of a voice and is a supreme entertainer.” Acoustic Coffeehouse Nederland CO
Singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, recording engineer, one man band -Bruce Hayes does it all. The forty-something entertainer has been a professional musician since high school and his experience shows.
“…lightning-fast mandolin licks…phenomenal guitar picking…a cross between Leo Kottke and Michael Hedges.” Berkshire Eagle Pittsfield MA
On stage Hayes’ presence is electrifying. He taps his feet on an amplified floor board, slaps accents on his guitar and cheeks, wails on the harmonica and sings charismatically. His fingers dance around the strings with incredible fluidity creating rich harmonic textures and rapid-fire riffs.
‘What he was doing with that guitar gave me chills… Awesome. ‘ Top O ‘ the World WSC
The music is fresh and original but steeped in tradition; borrowing from blues, bluegrass, celtic, world beat, folk, rock and jazz.
“…styles that could be loosely termed “Mountain Music”, (Hayes is an accomplished bluegrass player) but Bruce’s mountains reach from the Andes to the smokies and back to his home range in Colorado.” Larry Good , Aspen Daily News
Inspired by the Beatles and the Monkees, Hayes began studying music at age seven. His mother, a former broadway dancer, would insist that he study piano first, but his attention was always diverted by a small Sears Silvertone guitar. He formed his first band in seventh grade and got his first paid gig as guitarist for the High school jazz ensemble when he was fifteen. In College he majored in classical guitar but after attending his first bluegrass festival he traded the classical guitar for a mandolin and began performing at ski areas.
“…Bruce Hayes is the Jimi Hendrix of the mandolin…” Crested Butte Chronicle & Pilot
Perfoming as a solo act, a sideman, or with his bands, Hayes has given over 3,000 performances in many of America ‘s finest music venues, and several prominent music festivals. His music has taken him across the continent a dozen times, and twice around Europe. He’s jammed on stage with Joe Cocker, Arlo Guthrie, New Riders, Acoustic Syndicate, Railroad Earth, Darrell Scott, Tim O’Brien, Drew Emmitt; opened shows for David Bromberg, Jorma Kaukonen, Merle Sanders, Subdudes, Neville Bros., Dave Mathews, Sam Bush and David Lindley; and recorded in Nashville for grammy winning producer, Jon Vezner.
“…definately not some New Age dork. Man, he really cuts loose!” Tom Robbins
In 1997, Ragged Mountain Records released Hayes’ second album, LUNCH. A follow-up to the popular PACK OF DOGS compilation CD that Hayes produced and performed on, LUNCH features more of Colorado’s finest musicians including Tony Furtado, members of Leftover Salmon, String Cheese Incident, Acoustic Junction, The Motet, and the BRUCE HAYES BAND.
- Best of Salida 2010
- Second place, Telluride Blues & brews Acoustic Blues contest 2002
- First place, Mandolin Contest, Rocky Grass Festival 1993
- Second place, Mandolin Contest, Telluride Bluegrass Festival 1994
- Member of Acoustic Junction 1994
- Sideman for Melanie ‘s European Tour 1993
- Grand prize winner, KDHT Colorado Sound Competition 1991
*Winner -Glastonbury High School non-talent talent shows 1978,1979
*Elected “class musician”, recieved two music scholarships 1979
Telluride Blues & Brews Festival (tweeners) 2001-2006
Lake City Wine & Music Festival 2002-2006
Durango Bluegrass Meltdown
Steve, Mary Margaret and Shannon
Subscribe for more videos: https://bit.ly/2Ycpi4P. Check out www.youtube.com/stevesguitarspresents for more shows.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrassRootsCo. Twitter: https://twitter.com/grassrootstv – Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/grassroots-com – Web: http://www.grassrootstv.org/steves
Join the live stream on www.grassrootstv.org and remember you can donate some support to the musicians to help keep them alive during these challenging times. It’s all we have right now and it’s way better than nothing. Don’t you think? Hope so. We remain patiently waiting for it to feel safe for hosting audiences like for over 20 years before. Until then, we will keep the streams coming thanks to your support and well wishes. Please keep them coming our way. Continued thanks to our many sponsors listed partially below who have made the streams happen in this time living with Covid-19. Be well!
- 1st Bank in Carbondale * Grassrootstv 8 * Amore Realty * Purvis Matching Grant * Tom Berthiaume & Cheryl Kachenmeister’s Matching Grant * John & Maura Masters * Cathy Young * Michael Carron * Catharine Calhoon * Roger Beidler * Nina Gworek * Lawrence Carlson * *Frank Strayer * BJ Shmidt * Sarah O’Gara * Frank Martin * Ryan Randolf * Lisa Dancing-Light * Nick Pinto * Patricia Audick *Dawn Randolf * Steve Child * Joel Rittvo * Anne Goldberg * Jeanie Child * Richard Harrison * * Dick “Professor” & Gayle Wells * Cynthia Blachly * Sharon Corn * Andrea Marsh * Catherine Masters * Galen Brodie * Lori Anderson * Peter Davidoff * Laurie Loeb * Dan Greene * Joel Rittvo * Lisa Paige * John Rehl * Alice Steindler * Jill Steindler * Lisa Seindler * Sarah O’Gara * Bear Carlson * Jill Meadows * Annie Rector * Julie Jordon * John and Laurel Cato * Steve Getz * Lynn Kirchner * Purvis Family Matching Grant * John Jaggers * Donna Riley * Douglas MacLean * Sarah O’Gara * Rich Lopez * Melissa & Assaf Horowitz * Laurie Loeb * Mary Margaret O’Gara * Peter Gilbert * * John Masters * Maura and Catherine Masters * Owen Hutchenson * Sarah Kleinheber * Mark & Peggy Chain * Bear & Poppy * Georgia Chamberlain * Richard Sells * Paul Perry * Ken Wise * Howard Freeman * Jeff Dickinson * Ben Bohmfalk * *Reid Haughey * Susan Drinker * Sloan Shoemaker * Hollis & Charle Sutherland * Barbara Reid & David Hyman * Mike & Linda Keefe * John Rehl * Kim Burns * George Wear * George & Emily Bohmfalk * Bob Schultz * Bill and Jane Mitchell * Malcolm McMichael * Anne Gonzalez * Mel Blumenthal * Stephen Libera * Laura Bond * Anita & Nathan Weedmark * Ronald Phaneuf * Rick Blauvelt * Ed Holub * Jeff Wadley * Robert Comey * Steve Tullar * Fred Malo * Marty Silverstein * Brion After * Tyler Stableford * Jenell Hilderbrand * Marjorie DeLuca * Carolyn & Marty M